Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica Users digest V10 #19
From: "TSL" <eno22@enter.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 01:45:25 -0400

<<<Shoot it out of focus paint it red and call it art.>>>

No kidding!  Last month I went to the SFMOMA to see the Watkins exhibit of
19th century West Coast landscape photography (excellent!).  Afterwards, I
went downstairs to the modern collection....and to think I've been throwing
away those out of focus pictures of my feet and the sidewalk on the
beginning
of the roll ... I had no idea they were considered museum quality!  Perhaps
most amazing was an all white painting in 3 panels from the 1950's -- not
even brushworks because the "artist" wanted to convey the absence of
artistic
input!  The proverbial white rabbit in a snow bank.  Get some large canvas,
can of white satin latex and a Wagner Power Painter, and you could put out
at
least 5 or 6 an hour, if you were being careful!

Tom Schofield

This is bad, yuck, the muck of the art-thing.  Get so creative that you
create nothing.  That's great.  These people get all kinds of favors from
the curators directors (please excuse yourself if not so...) who call it
"art" if you have to stare at it for ten minutes and then it makes a blank
statement.  Hey, I don't mind staring at nice pictures, paintings, but I
prefer that there be something to arouse my enjoyment via sight (i..e that
looks great what is it?!) as opposed to intellect (hmm...  what is this
person expressing by such creative lack of artistic ability?)  Of course
give special credit to the "fine-art" experts who can't hold a camera but
dictate a,b,c.  Yes I know some great reps and curators, etc but the whole
thing is unfortunately a race for creative creations of nothing.  So they
add the word "PALLADIUM" and the price doubles.  Pinholes?  That's creative.
Nothing like a good pinhole shot.  The photo - that's irrelevant - it's
pinhole stuff....