Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Re: Special Edition M6s
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 1999 12:38:08 -0700

Nathan Wajsman wrote:

> Mark,
>
> The poster's suggestions were expensive because he recommended buying Viso and lenses in addition to
> what I already have and plan to get. In any event, Visoflex is one step too exotic for me. I am sure it
> has a certain attraction for some, but I view it as one of those interesting old accessories that have
> little relevance today, with all the excellent reflex cameras and lenses Leica produces. Jim Lager has
> a memorable quote on p. 44 of his vol. 3, in the context of the various prototype viewfinders: "If one
> contemplates how these finders might handled in use, it is obvious that the arrival of the SLR was
> indeed welcome." That is how I feel about the Viso. Please, I do not want to start a flame war; I
> recognize that there are many out there who love it. But I prefer to stick with the reflex cameras.
> Dedicated tools are best.
>
> Nathan
>
> Mark Rabiner wrote:
>
> > Nathan!
> > With the exception of the "shift" these lenses you are mentioning using and
> > liking all sound like Viso focal lengths! That joking suggestion that was made
> > yesterday about the Viso sounds less silly. I thought it made sense yesterday
> > even. It was said by it's "poster" that it was an "expensive" suggestion but I
> > was not aware that Viso lenses cost more than R lenses. I thought they cost
> > less.><snip>

Nathan,
I've heard that quote but in action they seem quite workable.
I've got the Laney not the Lager it turns out though. I've read about them
extensively here and for $300 I'm sure I'm going to end up giving it a pop.
Lager is a respected expert but this quote of his already long been disagreed
with by other good people here on the LUG. It might save me for an eventual R8,7
or 9.
By the way my life support system for an 35mm SLR or reason for having one would
be exactly what yours is, the logical one: macro and longer telephoto. Nikon
makes the 200 macro which consolidates that issue. Which means holding on to a
Nikon body which won't kill me. Maybe Leica will come out with one by then or a
macro 180. Also the longer than 200 Leica lenses get sky high price wise. If I
ever get into that price bracket the first thing I would get would be the new
300 ASPH or what ever they call it for the Hasselblad for a mear $20,000.
Mark Rabiner