Subject: [Leica] decisive moments
From: "KPETERS" <KPETERS@huntel.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 1999 20:55:40 -0500

- ------=_NextPart_000_0037_01BEE760.888EF720

I went canoeing with a friend yesterday at the local game reserve, =
mainly for birding and photos.  I had the R4 with the 500mm reflex, he =
had a new Nikon digital (don't ask me the model numbers, but it's made =
in conjunction with Kodak, all digital, stores 140 pics per harddrive, =
he had two harddrives, shoots 6 fps, multpoint focussing, etc etc.  =
Antithesis of m-ness...and running in to the $+6000 RANGE! ).  anyways, =
here we are canoeing, me in the bow, he in the stern when we come around =
the rush beds to see a great blue heron sitting on top of an old =
tree/branch, basking in the sun.   I got two shots off before he flew, =
and believe me it was all I could do to find him in the viewfinder as =
500 is a pretty tight field of focus!  My friend starts, as I would say, =
"filming"-- he got about 12 pics, even as the bird took off and flew.  =
Nuts!!  I actually was frustrated with it until I saw the returned =
prints.  I was shooting kodak 3200 tmax, he was digital obviously--  =
Mine were framed, composed, with no wasted space.  His first shot was =
placed, but the remainder off-centre,etc.  Sharp, mind you, but in my =
mind, you would have to be a hell of a shot to compose and nail decent =
pics with a slr at 6fps, especially at a flying bird from a canoe. =20

I feel I made my shot with a fine english double, he's 'hunting' with a =
shotgun or an uzi!  If you hunt much, you'll appreciate the difference!! =
=20

One big advantage though with his camera; we enjoyed looking at the pics =
as soon as we landed the canoe!  Plugged it into the laptop and enjoy!  =
I had to go to the darkroom!!  I still like it though!  Kpeters

- ------=_NextPart_000_0037_01BEE760.888EF720

<HTML>
<HEAD>

http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>I went canoeing with a friend =
yesterday at the=20
local game reserve, mainly for birding and photos.&nbsp; I had the R4 =
with the=20
500mm reflex, he had a new Nikon digital (don't ask me the model =
numbers, but=20
it's made in conjunction with Kodak, all digital, stores 140 pics per =
harddrive,=20
he had two harddrives, shoots 6 fps, multpoint focussing, etc etc.&nbsp; =

Antithesis of m-ness...and running in to the $+6000 RANGE! ).&nbsp; =
anyways,=20
here we are canoeing, me in the bow, he in the stern when we come around =
the=20
rush beds to see a great blue heron sitting on top of an old =
tree/branch,=20
basking in the sun.&nbsp;&nbsp; I got two shots off before he flew, and =
believe=20
me it was all I could do to find him in the viewfinder as 500 is a =
pretty tight=20
field of focus!&nbsp; My friend starts, as I would say, =
&quot;filming&quot;-- he=20
got about 12 pics, even as the bird took off and flew.&nbsp; =
Nuts!!&nbsp; I=20
actually was frustrated with it until I saw the returned prints.&nbsp; I =
was=20
shooting kodak 3200 tmax, he was digital obviously--&nbsp; Mine were =
framed,=20
composed, with no wasted space.&nbsp; His first shot was placed, but the =

remainder off-centre,etc.&nbsp; Sharp, mind you, but in my mind, you =
would have=20
to be a hell of a shot to compose and nail decent pics with a slr at =
6fps,=20
especially at a flying bird from a canoe.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>I feel I made my shot with a fine =
english=20
double, he's 'hunting' with a shotgun or an uzi!&nbsp; If you hunt much, =
you'll=20
appreciate the difference!!&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>One big advantage though with his =
camera; we=20
enjoyed looking at the pics as soon as we landed the canoe!&nbsp; =
Plugged it=20
into the laptop and enjoy!&nbsp; I had to go to the darkroom!!&nbsp; I =
still=20
like it though!&nbsp; Kpeters</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

- ------=_NextPart_000_0037_01BEE760.888EF720--