Subject: [Leica] (some Leica) RATIOS
From: "Paul Schiemer" <schiemer@magicnet.net>
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 1999 09:28:01 -0400

Been spending a lot of time in the darkroom lately.
While purveying sheets and sheets of processed negatives I began to wonder
what ratio of 'keepers' per sheet I had.
Forgetting about exposure but concentrating on 'worthwhile' images
(something that might look good printed & hung on a wall). It is an
interesting, if not provocative undertaking.

At the same time I was able to compare productivity in relation to camera
types (P645, M6, M3, G2 & FTN). Which cameras gave me the best results (as
it related to exposure & keepers)?
From a standing position, negs in sheets spread out on a large light box, I
could eliminate entire sheets for their 'spotty' results. I found myself
gravitating to the medium format, but not just because I could see the image
clearly from on high. (it's not such a big deal to lean over with the lupe.)

Results? The P645 first, then M3 & M6 close seconds, G2, and bringing up the
rear the FTN. [Hate to admit there were rolls in the batch from years ago, a
hidden stash!]
As for getting in close; the bastion of compact miniature format cameras,
the P645 was just as successful as the M's & G2.
Do I take more time (thoughtfully) getting shots with the M's -vs- other
cameras? no. Do the M's take more time? yes. [I could perceive 'opportunity'
frittering away as I stepped through the sequence required for a wholly
manual process in opposition to the all in one views; the M3 was not as
successful as the M6, for instance.]

*Of course; test results may vary, opinions are completely subjective and do
not reflect the political sensitivity of the author (ie; no troll).

no archive