Subject: [Leica] (no Leica) Schwartza Fenza?
From: "Paul Schiemer" <schiemer@magicnet.net>
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 1999 09:42:40 -0400

Went to an opening last night for two photographers; a portraitist and the
other urban landscapes (both artists quite successful).
Each and every image printed and hung on the wall had the 'frame' of the
negative printed and revealed as a component of the finished (matted) work.

Was wondering what y'all think about the habit of including the 'black
edge'.

Personally; it's noise and lends absolutely nothing to the expression being
made (other than to flaunt the 'I used the whole thing' bravado to other
photographers). [Although I will admit to having done it once or twice
myself; http://users.aol.com/pschiemer/evpic.html ]

I asked one of the photographers (Tom Jimison) about the 'fence'. He
volunteered it was something he felt was required as a historical
documentary of our society. He was once commissioned to chronicle
architecture in New Orleans and inclusion of the frame information was part
of the project. But, is it art?

no archive