Subject: Re: [Leica] [OT] Re: Septrionalophobic leicaphiles
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 15:13:19 -0400

At 12:05 PM 9/7/1999 -0500, Harrison McClary wrote:
>Also the person who posted the original complaint under this heading made
>a very negative comment about North Carolina a few weeks ago....being
>from the south I am used to this kind of statement as we are always
>accused of being racist/bigoted just because of our accents...maybe this
>fellow should look to his own prejudices before posting such nonsense to
>the list....

Nah, Harrison.  You'll lose on that one, save with transplanted Yankees.
Knocking the South has been a source of relaxation in the North for 135
years.  Heck, my family first settled in Virginia and were active in
colonial affairs -- one of my forebears was Braddock's Chief Scout and
ended up being ambushed on his own land, an interesting development!  But
borders shifted after the War of Independence, and my family ended up in
PA.  My father still feels edgy about living here in Virginia despite the
historic connexions.

My mother, now, grew up in Maryland and was taught, quite erroneously, that
Maryland is a Southern state, so she's content here.

Go figure!  Me?  I have fun with the CCV snobs, when they ask me what my
family did during the War of Yankee Aggression and I, with a deadpan face,
tell them my great-grandfather was in the 206th Pennsylvania when it
captured Richmond.  That normally puts a pause in the conversation!

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!