Subject: [Leica] WAS: Consistent underexposure: now..built in Canada
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@islandnet.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 06:38:39 -0700

<<<<<<<Anthony Atkielski wrote: In practice, however, when you move
manufacturing abroad, you do _not_ get the same quality.>>>>>

As I'm just returning to the world of LUG LIFE after a few days in San
Francisco I may be a tad late with  a comment on this "out source" thread.

However, I wonder if when the new M4 was introduced and solely built in
Canada, was it considered "out sourcing" to send the finished product to
Germany for whatever it was they did? Certainly after the third world
Canadians' actually made the Camera in Canada?

And was it considered "out sourcing" when the Noctilux was designed and
manufactured in Canada, similarly the Apo 180 3.4, then sent to Germany for
them to look at, it they did at all?

It would appear this thread is one of those being beaten to death over
tiddly winks!  Who the hell cares in this day and age when manufacturers
the world over have many of the bits and pieces designed and assembled all
over planet earth......and as long as the buyer doesn't have any idea, they
don't really care as they just think it was made in, "Germany, Switzerland,
America, Japan or whatever the hell country the buyer thought it was made.

In the case of Leica, the move back to Germany for manufacture was
motivated not so much that the manufacture was superior to the Canadians,
but primarily to stop the constantly asked stupid question: "if its made in
Canada is it as good as made in Germany?" Just bloody nonsense! And to some
degree a "collector driven" concern on bying only "Made in Germany"
products.

And as appears these past months the negative questioning of "quality
control in Solms" it would appear that maybe they should send all the damn
equipment back to Canada and get a life, as the M4's made in Canada are a
hard working camera after these many years! And without this whining of
appeared lack of Solms QC.

Like I said this is a no brainer topic that requires the question, "Why the
hell aren't you out taking pictures instead of wasting time with this kind
of nonsense?

ted

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant