Subject: Re: [Leica] Hexar RF/M7
From: "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 1999 22:21:25 +0200

From: <TEAShea@aol.com>
Sent: Friday, October 08, 1999 15:35

> My M6's are nice, but more and more I consider them to
> be antiques - fine quality art pieces to be admired from
> a time past.

Interesting viewpoint.  I think my M6 works pretty well today, and it would not
occur to me to think of it as an antique.

The fact is, all you need is a body, a reliable shutter and aperture, and a good
lens.  The M6 has all of these.

A Leica M6 is kind of like a handy tool for making pictures.  It's the sort of
thing a photographer might take around with him in the same way that a mechanic
or construction work will tend to walk around with a crescent wrench or
screwdriver on his belt.  And just as crescent wrenches and screwdrivers do not
become obsolete, so the M6 does not become obsolete.  Unless dramatic changes
occur in the way pictures are taken, the M6 will remain entirely current.  Even
digital photography would not necessarily change this--you could always design
an M6 body to take a digital back, and leave it otherwise unchanged.

> However, for me, I have looked forward to a new modernized,
> quality body.

Get yourself an F5.  Top quality, very rugged, a huge number of features that
give you great technical flexibility.  The trade-off is that it is large and
heavy, and requires batteries.

> To me the quality issue is critical.  In order to be attractive,
> the new body must be very high quality.  I have not interest
> in anything less.

High quality is one reason why I bought the M6.

At this point, I doubt that a new body would tempt me, irrespective of features.
I will allocate any future budget to lenses.  I may eventually get a second (or
third!) body, but if I do, I'll prefer that it exactly match my current M6 TTL
body, so that I don't have to relearn anything.

  -- Anthony