Subject: Re: [Leica] Something BIG is a Fuji 690
From: "Joe Codispoti" <joecodi@thegrid.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2000 11:19:30 -0800

Well Jem,

our own George Ivanyo informs me that he has a 50mm lens for the original
GM670 Fuji camera which should be equivalent to 21/24mm on a Leica.
Unfortunately the leaf shutters, coupled to the interchangeability feature,
made the lens to camera linkage a weak one and quite prone to failure.
Perhaps that is why Fuji abandoned the interchangeable lens idea.
Several manufacturers of focal plane cameras produce a leaf shutter lens in
the "normal" focal length range (Mamiya, Pentax, etc.). Maybe a modern leaf
shutter lens for the Leica M would solve the 1/50 synch speed problem.

Joseph

Joseph,
To me, this is the interesting area of connection between Leica and Fuji,
their rangefinder production. Prior to the 690 (II and III) there was the
original which had interchangeable lenses, much more like a Leica on
steroids, excepting that it used (perhaps quite sensibly) leaf shutters.
They bottomed out at a 65mm lens and went up via 90, 105 to 150 I recall. I
think Leica explored the possibility of a roll film rangefinder pre war,
they got as far as a mock-up but no further I believe.

Jem
<<<<<<