Subject: Re: [Leica] Emperor's new clothes...
From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 21:06:55 +0100

If he is indeed playing a deliberate joke on us, then I can accept it. As an
expression of photographic art (or just art, period), I cannot. To me
Eggleston's exhibit is in the same category as another recent exhibit at a
Danish art gallery (in Kolding, a town in Jutland). One of the items consisted
of 10 blenders, each filled with water and containing a gold fish. The viewers
were invited to turn on a blender if they wished to do so, and several did.
Another exhibit at a modern art museum I saw recently consisted of two washing
machines placed a few meters apart and running continuously.

Sorry, but I just do not see any of the examples above as art; to me, they are
fraud. Most of the people who have come to Eggleston's defence in this thread
do far superior work to anything I saw at the exibit.

As my final comment, let me quote someone from the UK who signed the
photography museum's guest book: "If this is art, then I suppose I will get
myself a cheap point and shoot and become an artist too..."

Nathan

Jeff S wrote:

> Maybe the artist is playing a joke on us?
>
> Awhile ago, I found myself the only one in the crowd (no other smiles,
> some deep-in-thought looks) who was laughing at the sight of a urinal on
> a pedestal in the San Francisco MoMA: This one, you see, had been
> touched by the great Marcel Duchamp and what, 70 years after the fact,
> his gag still has the power to bamboozle a crowed. In another room was a
> giant silkscreen painting that Andy Warhol had personally taken a whiz
> upon (the placard didn't say so, but read his diaries, look at the
> peed-upon look of the painting and draw your own conclusions). We should
> probably be grateful that neither of these two men carried these themes
> to their logical conclusions but no doubt such, ah, creations would've
> found a place of great honor in galleries and museums.
> --
>
> Jeff Segawa
> Somewhere in Boulder, Colorado

- --
Nathan Wajsman
Overijse, Belgium and Zurich, Switzerland
e-mail: wajsman@webshuttle.ch
General photo page: http://members.tripod.com/belgiangator
Belgium photo page: http://members.xoom.com/wajsman