Subject: Re: [Leica] My First M3!
From: John Collier <jbcollier@home.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 07:58:27 -0700

As it is a user camera* the addition of the frame selector should increase
its value as a shooter. The DS advance mechanism is not as strong, but
considered smoother, as the SS mechanism so it is not that unusual on users
to find this repair/conversion. The original DS mechanism, in cameras that I
have looked at**, sits a little higher than the original SS mechanism which
may be why there is an additional washer with the SS conversion. This
conversion/repair is still offered by Leica as is the conversion to standard
PC connections. The old Leitz flash fitting has a thin raised solid pin in
the recessed "hole" while the a standard PC fitting has a hole in its thick
raised pin. The factory PC terminal conversion is expensive as they change
the whole mounting piece as well. Non-factory repairers just change the
fittings and is much less expensive. I have heard the factory PC conversion
is better as the mounting piece is smaller and less likely to "hit" the
finder if the camera is dropped or knocked about. According to the serial
number your camera should have a glass pressure plate, though again this is
an easily changed piece. The parts were most certainly provided by Leitz but
any competent repairperson could have done the work. As to its worth,
priceless of course!

John Collier

*You do not say why it is a user so I assume it has the usual scuffing and
vulcanite problems. Leica has an inexpensive replacement covering available
for the vulcanite M cameras to make them look fresh again but not original
of course. You can get original vulcanite covered shells but this requires a
great deal of work and the part is expensive.

**I do not own any M3s. Can anyone else comment on the reason for the height
differences?