Subject: Re: [Leica] Teachers and Leica!
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2000 09:48:46 -0800

Mark Rabiner wrote:

> Seriously teachers should get more dough than Doctors. They should be the cream
> of the crop and treated as such.>>>>

I'd like to add to Mark's comment.

Teachers are the educators of our children and make them into educated
human beings, be that at whatever level of education.  Most teachers
have more influence on how our kids and grand kids turn out, in many
cases  more than the parents.

If the children of a nation are that countries future, isn't it logical
that teachers should be the best educators money can buy? Teachers
influence the daily lives and lifetime attitudes of those entrusted to
them for an education, certainly influence their students far more than doctors.

I for one believe, like Mark, that teachers should be the cream of the
crop of a country's population, simply because they are influencing the
future of the country.

Now having said that, I might say I'm somewhat bias, although no less a
believer in the quality of teachers, as my number one son is a high
school teacher.  He approaches his teaching with the same passion I do
with photography, he also approaches his use of a Leica with the same
attitude as the old man. :)  He's not as good as his younger brother as
a shooter, however, he's damn good.

He's an extremely dedicated teacher who knows his role in life. He has
said , "Sometimes it's scary being a teacher, knowing how you work with
your students may influence their attitudes for a lifetime."  Trust me,
the hours he puts in due to that dedication is never monetarily
compensated for adequately, however, his attitude when money comes in
is, "My compensation that over rides  money is the satisfaction of
knowing I've helped one student to understand the world and life a
little better!"

What's this have to do with the LUG? Well I guess the fact he does use a
Leica for his classroom photography and projects in teaching his
students.   :)

ted