Subject: Re: [Leica]Kodachrome and scanning
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 17:20:34 -0400

At 04:02 PM 4/18/00 -0500, you wrote:

>With all this talk of scanning, am I a minority of one in thinking that
>sometimes the Kodachrome transparency itself is the end product?  For my
>personal work in color I just want to have luscious slides to look at.  I
>have thousands and don't see any reason to have them in nebulous electronic
>form when that actual piece of film was on the scene with me and my camera
>and shared the experience.
>
>Alan M-R

Alan -

The reasons include putting them in a database and sending out digital
files to publishers instead of those precious originals.  It's much easier,
faster, and cheaper than having dupes made every time you need them.  And
with scans in a database, you can search actual images instead of words.

If all of your photography is personal, the actual transparency can be an
end product; but if you have to earn a living with your photographs, you
will probably end up scanning them.

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP
http://www.tinamanley.com