Subject: Re: [Leica] Leitz vs. Voigtländer
From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 22:08:54 +0200

It depends on the retailer. The most common method is for the purchaser to pay
the full price including VAT. The merchant will give you a special "tax free"
cheque which you must have stamped by customs when leaving the EU (not
necessarily the country of purchase, just the last country within the EU on your
itinerary). After that, you can either mail it to the address on the cheque for
processing, and you get your refund by mail, or you can cash it in selected
banks at most major airports (I have done it at the UBS branch at Zurich
airport). It is a bit of a hazzle but it works.

The far more convenient method is the one practiced by some retailers, like
Leicabeimeister in Hamburg. They simply deduct the VAT right away when sending
an item to a non-EU country. They even deduct the VAT from the shipping charge!

Nathan

Bud Cook wrote:

> This reminds me of when I bought my original kit of Leica R lenses in
> Nuremberg.   When we left Germany on the train, the German customs officials
> climbed in through the window and filled out the paperwork so that I could
> eventually recover the VAT.   Since I had a bank account in Germany it made
> it easy to arrange for the refund.
>
> I don't know how it works now.

- --
Nathan Wajsman
Overijse, Belgium and Zurich, Switzerland
e-mail: wajsman@webshuttle.ch
General photo page: http://members.tripod.com/belgiangator
Belgium photo page: http://members.xoom.com/wajsman

Message from "Bud Cook" <budcook@attglobal.net> (Re: [Leica] Leitz vs. Voigtländer)