Subject: Re: [Leica] Rangefinder Effective Base
From: john <bosjohn@mediaone.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 09:37:48 +0100

Rich Lahrson wrote:

> John Collier wrote:
> > Once again Stephen Gandy comes to our rescue:
> > http://www.cameraquest.com/leica.htm
> > The rangefinder is magnified on screw mount Leicas (1.5x) while the
> > viewfinder is less than life size.
>
> Hi John,
>
>      And thanks, I checked the site above;  the screw mount Leicas are
> just slightly less than an M3, slightly more than the M2.
>
>      What does Steve Gandy mean by 'later models (than M3 or M2) have
> depth of field scales visible in viewfinder?  I've used M3, M2 and
> an M4-2; there's no scales in the finder.
>
>                                 Cheers,
>
>                                                         Rich Lahrson
>                                                         tripspud@wenet.net
Some late M-3s and M-2s had two notches, one above and one below the
rangefinder patch. One is wider than the other. By comparing the spread of the
two images in the rangefinder to the limits of the notches a rough indication
of the depth of field is indicated.  I find it difficult and use the depth of
field scales on the lens instead.
John Shick

Replies: Reply from "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com> (Re: [Leica] Rangefinder Effective Base)
Message from Rich Lahrson <tripspud@wenet.net> (Re: [Leica] Rangefinder Effective Base)