Subject: [Leica] Incidentally, why are there so few women on the LUG? Seems a sham e.
From: "Birkey, Duane" <dbirkey@hcjb.org.ec>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 13:03:42 -0500

I can think of a few posts (without getting into specifics) over the last
week or couple of days at least, that taken out of context would tend to
characterize the Lug (or members of it) as a bunch of dirty old or
middle-aged men...  I've had moments where I don't want to be openly
associated with the LUG because of the conversation.   (you've heard the
saying, show me your friends and I'll tell you who you are)

But I think we've all been there at some point, depending on the
conversation.  If my wife or my mom were to read a couple of these digests,
They would ask me what and the world am I getting these LUG digests for.

Now before you jump all over me.... remember, I've been on the Lug for over
3 years and I've talked with a lot of Luggers over e-mail and look forward
to meeting more in-person at some point .... Either way,  over time one gets
to know people and a bit about their character and their mood swings......
But in the short run it is easy to misjudge...  That is to say that first
impressions to new Lug members can be bad ones or good ones, right or wrong
depending on when they subscribe.  But... if you think about a lot of the
off-topics that get discussed on this list....  I don't see many that are
attractive to women...

But the truth is probably that the percentage of women Leica owners is
pretty minuscule to begin with.

Duane Birkey
HCJB World Radio
Quito Ecuador