Subject: [Leica] Identify this Leica Loupe
From: John Coan <jcoan@alumni.duke.edu>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 19:24:06 -0400

I bought an 8x Leica loupe last month on Ebay for $15.  I expected it to
be a fake or cheaply made, but when I got it I found it to be brand new
and very nice.  It does a great job with slides on a small light panel.
I wonder if anybody knows anything about it?

I will describe:

Square body with round lens.  With white opaque body top, and clear
lucite bottom.  The lens looks plastic (!).

Box is white with red and silver stripe.  It says:
standlupe xx . magnifier 8x . loupe 8x . loep 8x . lente 8x
PAT (r)-Art.-Nr. 812.01.aplanatisch    Made in Germany

Moulded into the white plastic top is: 8x achromatisch
Printed on the clear bottom is: Made in Germany

So, is this a fake Leica loupe or the real thing?  What does
"aplanatisch" mean? How much are these worth?  The seller had several of
these and I don't know if he got rid of them all.  If anyone is
interested I'll look up his email.  He's in Canada.