Subject: Re: [Leica] No Kodachrome 25!!!!?!
From: chucko@siteconnect.com (Chuck Albertson)
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 08:27:12 -0700

Simon,

I don't know anything about a specification for processing---that's pretty
much up to the user. The emulsions are the same, but the difference between
the pro and amateur versions of Kodachrome is that the pro version is tested
at the factory for speed and color balance. If it's spot-on, they label it
as "professional" and maintain it in refrigeration all the way to the
consumer; that's the justification for the added cost of the pro versions.
The amateur versions are released and distributed with the assumption that
they will age on the dealer's shelf, and in the consumer's camera
bag/camera.

I was really bummed when they discontinued the pro version of K25. It's just
the thing for mountain photography, and a predictable color balance is
necessary---nothing looks worse than green snow (except maybe yellow snow).
If the film is more mature and has red-shifted, you can get away with it
("That? That's algae, in the snow! It's quite common at high altitudes, it's
just not widely reported.").

Chuck Albertson
Seattle, Wash.