Subject: [Leica] Erwin & photographic technique
From: "Birkey, Duane" <dbirkey@hcjb.org.ec>
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2000 09:02:00 -0500

Not that I am speaking for Erwin....  But I wonder if his comments have been
taken a bit out of context.....

Erwin's point (paraphrased) has been that the only way you will squeeze
every bit of quality out of a Leica lens is to use the highest resolving
film, accurate focus, a cable release and a tripod....

That statement will always be true....

While I prefer handholding Leica M's.... I've done some shots with 100 ASA
at 1/8 or 1/4 of a second on a tripod that were blown up to 30 x 40
inches....  I got every bit of quality out of the Leica glass that was
possible at that point.... and it looks better than any of the images done
with my Canon and I'm sure it would look better than if I had tried to
handhold it the shot or switched to faster film...  But the M handheld ones
turned out pretty good too....

Erwins point has also been that for a valid test of two lenses.....  you
need to use a tripod as well as eliminate other image degrading
variables....

If you wiggle the camera or have poor focus while using the better lens....
but get it right with the lesser quality one.... your results will favor the
worse lens...  or over time at best you will have mixed results.  But for
many situations tripods, slow films and f5.6 aperatures are impractical....
So at some point you do have to factor in how a camera and lens works in
practice.....  If a camera lens combination only gives you sharp results on
a tripod and not under your normal shooting conditions.... I'd dump it like
a hot potato...   If I compare handheld shots of my Canon Eq and My M
eq.....  Sometimes I get better results with the other system due to focus
errors... etc....  But I know from experience that the Leica lenses, if used
correctly, are capable of recording more detail than my Canons and that Fuji
Provia 100 has more detail than Fuji 400...

I really don't think Erwin's intent is to insist that everyone use tripods,
cable releases and the slowest film possible....   but his 2 points are
still correct as long as a tripod can hold a camera better than we can and a
high resolving film records detail better than TMZ3200... and lenses resolve
more at f/5.6.

Duane Birkey
HCJB World Radio
Quito Ecuador