Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: R8 replacement - Leica going digital
From: Rick Dykstra <rdandcb@cybermac.com.au>
Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2000 20:52:57 +1000

Pascal wrote:

> If, within a reasonable timeframe, Leica does *not* offer a digital
> option next to its traditional SLR series, I fear that a number of
> current R users will (have to) move away from Leica and go to one of the
> brands that *do* offer traditional and digital SLR cameras concurrently
> (Canon, Nikon, in some time Contax).

Hi Pascal,

Reminds me of a situation in 97/98.  I'm told the Leica R&D and marketing
folk were struggling with priorities for the R system - between digital and
autofocus.  Back focussing a la Contax AX was being considered, so that
existing manual lenses could be used.  But I didn't want an autofocus camera
that could simply do automatically what I was able to do manually.  I wanted
an autofocus camera that could do what I was unable to do.  So in the end I
bought an F5, for sports use only.

Hopefully Leica can get a digital R or M solution on the market by the time
I and many others decide we want or need to supplement our systems in that
direction.  A back for the R8 would be just fine to my point of view.

Regards

Rick Dykstra