Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica lens turned into a telescope - can it be done?
From: "Jason Hall" <JASON@jbhall.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2000 23:51:44 -0000

Hi Vick

For planetary detail such as Saturns rings bigger is always better, I
can just about tell that Saturn has rings with a N**** 60mm (diameter)
spotting scope at 45x magnification (I have astigmatism, others claim
to need less), I can see interesting detail with a 150mm Newtonian
telescope at 200x, many amateur astronomers would suggest that a 200mm
Newtonian is a good small/medium starter scope.  A camera lens with an
eyepiece added is unlikely to be much use for anything other than the
moon IMO, if you really want to go this route a 1000mm mirror lens is
probably the best bet.

This site has some good amateur Saturn and Jupiter images taken with
various telescopes http://www.weatherman.com/.  Bear in mind that you
will not see images as clear or contrasty as these by eye.  I have
never yet seen the Great Red Spot on Jupiter despite staring at the
planet for hours on end through my 6".

Mail me off list if I can be of further help.

Jason Hall