Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica lens turned into a telescope - can it be done?
From: "clive sanbrook" <clive.sanbrook@virgin.net>
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2000 10:04:01 -0000

I used to have a Meade ETX astronomical telescope ((1000mm f19 (roughly) in
photographic terms)) and even with an eyepiece which gave around 100 times
magnification could only just see the rings on Saturn - And this was
difficult to keep centred in the viewing area because of the earths
rotation - IMO you would be stuggling to achieve this level of view with
your propsed combination - I found that I was always disappointed in the
amount and size of the detail that I could see. - my guess would be that
your combo would be ok as a terrestrial telescope - or for the moon - but
that would be about it.

If you can find one locally  - most amateur astronomical societies welcome
new members - and often have open evenings when you get a chance to look
through various 'scopes.

This is my local society - but there is a links page
http://www.astro.cf.ac.uk/sas/sasmain.html

http://www.astro.cf.ac.uk/sas/halesand.jpg

This is an image of comet hale bopp which I took a 200 mm F4 lens - Saturn
is a long, long way further out - hope this puts the size you might see in
perspective.

P.s.I'm not saying which make of lens :-()

Regards