Subject: Re: [Leica] Lens Hood
From: "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2000 11:02:02 -0500

John-
At the risk of incurring the the wrath of the LUG, being cast from there
with hideeous ruin and combustion, to bottomless perdition, there to dwell
in adamantine chains and penal fire... er, excuse me.... I got carried away!
But do check out the eBay listings- I have seen several recently for less
than $100. If the paint is worn, fine- even cheaper!
Mine has some rough looking paint on the inside, and a few chips on the
edge. I used some of the matte black touch up paint from Fargo Enterprises
to do the inside of the shade, and a few dabs of the glossy on the outer
rim- it not only made it a little more presentable, but it looked a whole
lot better, too!
The matte black paint lays down very well with no noticable brush marks, and
I have used it on several old shade, and even to touch up the inside of a
couple of Rolleis I had.
With the shades, you can set them on a lampshade over a warm bulb, and
they'll dry overnight, though letting them sit for several days would fully
harden the paint.
The stuff isn't costly, and a couple of bottles have lasted me for almost
three years and are still going strong!
I figured that since I was going to use the shade, that maintaining an
original finish was not as important as making it useful.
I have tried some of the 'crackle-finish' paint to retouch VALOY enlarger
heads, but I won't recommend that until I get the technique down better! It
sometimes works, and sometimes it doesn't! Once I figure out what is going
wrong when it doesn't, I'll get back to you!!
Dan