Subject: Re: [Leica] Metering question
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2001 14:46:10 -0500

At 10:58 AM 2/4/2001 -0800, Mark Rabiner wrote:
>Screw the technicalities B. D.!
>I think you would find the reading of one of Eastland's books to be an
excellent experience.
>I'm glad he's not technically perfect, he's a doer and an artist.
>We all saw his slideshow at the LHSA thing Octover in Boston.
>It's the TONE the matters in books even such "handbooks" sometimes called
>"compendiums" not the picky picky itemization of information.

First, many of us did NOT see his slideshow "Octover in Boston", whatever
that might be.

Second, you are completely wrong on this topic, Mark.  The purpose of the
Hove Compendia is to serve for the various camera systems as Wildi does for
Hasselblad, a gathering of technical knowledge.  Eastland is a recognized
pro of some abilities, but his knowledge of the equipment is not what it
should be for an author of a major system camera book and what seems even
worse is that he doesn't seem to care.

The Leica M Compendium is a book filled with nifty pictures but lacking in
the technical grit which the series was supposed to contain.  (See Bob
Shell's Canon Compendium, for instance, in comparison.)

But, then, Eastland is friends with the folks who now own Hove, so all is,
I guess, foregiven!

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!