Subject: Re: Loco for Cocoa Puffs - Re: [Leica] loco for chrome?
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 10:10:43 -0500

Dante Stella wrote:

> If Leica was (is?) painting and repainting Ms for Magnum, it goes to show
> that someone was worried about finish!
>
> Yeah, you do worry about construction when you are a member of der
> kameradropper klub.  Haven't dropped my M3, but I'm sure that day is
> coming!

> > > Now THAT I agree with. My old OM4ti was built like a tank. So I suppose the
> > > answer is to buy titanium finish Ms and then get them black painted?
> > >
> > > Julian
> >
> > I can't help wondering how HCB, Eugene Smith, Robert Capa, Inge Morath,
> > Eisenstadt, or George Rodgers ever got through a day without obsessing
> > about the color, finish, and metallurgics of their equipment. It
> > absolutely boggles the mind!;-)
> >
> > B. D.

It's one thing to refinish a beat-to-shit camera, probably in the belief
that refinishing it may help it live longer. And it's also one thing to
want a well made camera....But after close to 50 years of the M being
around, it's pretty obvious it's a rugged camera...And this obsessing
over should it be chrome, should it be titanium, should it be black,
should it be black paint, should it be black chrome, sure doesn't have
much of anything to do with photography, the use of the equipment, the
skill of the photographer....etc....

B. D.
Who has dopped and will drop more cameras in his day.