Subject: RE: [Leica] Jim Brick: One Hell Of A Nice Guy
From: "Austin Franklin" <austin@darkroom.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2001 21:36:04 -0500

> >> Austin, Austin, Austin,
> >> There were no cameras then.
> >
> >Henry, Henry, Henry, Henry....sure there were!  There were 'camera' way
> >before then (16th century in fact)..."camera obscura"...now if
> you say there
> >was no "photography" (that word was first used 1839),
> well...that would be a
> >different story ;-)
> >
> >> I bet Ted does have some sketches and paintings though.
> >
> >Those are pictures...I don't believe pictures are limited to only
> >photographs, are they?
>
> Austin,
> You win the prize today.
> I stand corrected Austin and apologize for my lame attempt at humor.
> After all proper humor must be technically correct.
> Do you mean to be abrasive? Or do I misunderstand? Perhaps I have.

Henry, Henry, Henry, Henry, Henry (note there are 5 Henrys...and in my above
response, 4, that was my lame attempt at subtle humor...since you gave me 3
Austin's)...  I thought your response funny, and appreciated it...certainly
it was not lame.  Nothing abrasive was meant at all.  As my wife says, it's
hard to see someone's face and intonation in email...hence, the little ;-)
at the end of my first paragraph.

> So tell me Austin, what IS the problem?

I don't believe there is a problem...  Can't you just picture Ted sitting
there with pencil in hand looking through this 'box' sketching the projected
image?  That is what I was thinking as I wrote the above...and it gave me a
good chuckle.  I didn't really know any of the history I cited until I
looked it up tonight...since things like this can often interest me, so
thanks to your mention of 'camera' and the association of it with 1812...I
learned a little about photographic history.