Subject: Re: [Leica] WAS: SNAPS & England & the LHS: NOW "snaps use"
From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 16:04:41 +0200

Hi Ted (and others who responded with similar advice):

My question was a bit tongue in cheek and I had no idea that it would spark a
detest the pretentious BS names people use, especially "giclée"--I guess a
French word sounds artsier than "inkjet". Maybe I am bit thick, but it took me
several gallery visits to realize that a "silver gelatin" print was just an
ordinary photograph printed in a normal wet darkroom...

Nathan

Ted Grant wrote:

> Hi Nathan,
>
> Just call them what they are.... your photographs!
>
> Simply because today "prints of amazing quality" not necessarily great
> content, are being made that just blow yer socks of at how beautiful they
> are.
>
> By the same token we have amazing quality prints still being made in the wet
> darkroom, not necessarily great content,  that just blow yer socks of at how
> beautiful they are.
>
> So how you made the prints to me is completely irrelevant as it's the
> content that counts not the medium they are printed on. Unless one is a
> stuffy museum curator! ;-)
>
> Does that not sound reasonable?
> ted
> Ted Grant Photography Limited