Subject: Re: OT: Science, art, progress, humbug (was Re: [Leica] yesterday's technolgy at retired dentists prices!
From: Barney Quinn <barney@ncep.noaa.gov>
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2001 07:27:55 -0400

Bob,

Thank you for a chance to state what I meant with a bit more precision. I argee with
you. Art history progresses. So does musicology. New techniques are discovered.
Newer, more accurate information comes to light. Old things long lost are found. I
also agree that art, at least some of the time, builds on what came before. But, I do
not think that art "progresses" in the same sense that science does.

I would argue that  it was progress when we abandonned the notion that infection was
caused by foul humors and nasty spirits and figured out that it was caused by
microbes. One notion is demonstrably not correct and the other has helped create a
healthier place to live. Matthew Brady's photographs are certainly different than
those of Diane Arbus. I hesitate to call the journey from one to the other progress
because it's much harder to make the case that one is superior to the other. I much
prefer to say that art changes or evolves.

There are, of course, people who are more than glad to attempt to make the case that
one form or art is superior to the another. And,  I agree, this is where the notion
of method comes into to play. I don't think that you can demonstrate that folk music
is "better" than rock in the same sense that you can demonstrate that the
acceleration due to gravity on the surface of the earth is 16 ft/sec/sec. Quite the
contrary. Art is exempt from this requirement. Science isn't.

If art progresses, and I don't think it does, then it certainly progresses in a very
different sense of the word than science. I certainly argee with you in that method
makes them different. But, I also think that these vastly different notions of
progress are also one of the things which make art and science different. I don't
mean to quibble. For me art and science move in such different ways that I prefer to
use totally different words to describe this motion. We may disagree. That's fine.
After all, it's the LUG.

Barney

Replies: Reply from Bob Walkden <bob@web-options.com> (Re[2]: OT: Science, art, progress, humbug (was Re: [Leica] yesterday's technolgy at retired dentists prices!)
Message from Brian Reid <Brian.Reid@cs.cmu.edu> (Re: [Leica] yesterday's technolgy at retired dentists prices!)