Subject: Re[2]: OT: Science, art, progress, humbug (was Re: [Leica] yesterday's technolgy at retired dentists prices!
From: Bob Walkden <bob@web-options.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2001 18:10:17 +0100

Hi,

> Science, I think, does progress [...]. Art doesn't.

As you say, it depends on what you mean by 'progress'. So if you claim
that progress in art and progress in science depend on different meanings
of 'progress' then the statement above is equivocation.

Scientific progress can, I think, be measured in only 1 way: as an
increase in the sum of human knowledge. eg learning that microbes
rather than evil sprits cause diseases.

The utilitarian measure of progress that people often apply - an
increase in the sum of human happiness - is probably a measure of social
progress rather than anything else. Understanding that infection is
caused by bacteria is a matter of scientific progress. Applying that
knowledge to curing diseases rather than to dropping biological bombs on
villages is a matter of social progress. I think this is enough to
demonstrate that scientific progress can't be measured by the change
in the sum of human happiness.

However, if science increases human knowledge, it is certainly not the
only activity that does so. One other activity that can do this is
art: who would claim that the novels of Dickens, or Tolstoy or Camus
have not increased human knowledge?

Progress in art, as you suggest, is not defined in terms such as
'Snoop Doggy Dog is better than Mozart', or 'Jeff Koons is better than
Leonardo da Vinci'. Rather, I would suggest that progress in art comes
from expanding the boundaries of art and being able to justify this
expansion in art historical terms. In these terms Diane Arbus's work
probably does show that photography as art has progressed since Matthew
Brady's day. Of course this does not mean that Diane Arbus's work is somehow
superior to Matthew Brady's, or vice-versa. That sort of comparison is
meaningless.

Incidentally, we haven't entirely "abandoned the notion that infection
is caused by foul humors and nasty spirits". I once met a man in
Zanzibar who had a similar ear condition to mine. Whereas my problems
are being corrected by surgery, he was placing his trust in djinns
living in a nearby cave. He was too poor to have a choice in the
matter, and his society is too poor to offer him a choice. I'm sure it
wouldn't take much searching among the religious and the New Agers in
our societies to find people who actively choose djinns and spirits (by
whatever name) over science.

- ---

 Bob

mailto:bob@web-options.com