Subject: Re: [Leica] Stolen Leicas--how do you prevent that from happening?
From: "Jim Laurel" <JimLaurel@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2001 17:33:04 -0700

Mark Rabiner is right in that it's hard to hide the fact that your shoulder
bag contains cameras when you've got one out and shooting (which is what
you're supposed to be doing anyway  ;-)   I think the type of bag matters
less than whether or not you appear to be paying attention to it.  And the
simple fact is that its easier to mind a smaller bag with less gear than a
gargantuan J1 loaded to the gills.  If you look like you're fumbling around
with alot of gear, you are a more likely target simply because your
attention is more diffused.  A J-803 Domke satchel slung across your chest
with the metal latch snapped closed and your hands gripping the latch
assembly is a fairly difficult target.

In hotel rooms, I just locked up spare gear in a porter case, and cable
locked that to something in the room.  Most hotel room theft is
opportunistic.  You are at risk if you leave something out in the open.
Hotel staff are much more likely to go for that stuff before they go
rummaging around in your bags.

By the way, the new J-803 has got to be the best travel camera bag known to
man!

- --Jim

Message from "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net> (Re: [Leica] Stolen Leicas--how do you prevent that from happening?)
Message from Feliciano di Giorgio <feli@d2.com> (Re: [Leica] Stolen Leicas--how do you prevent that from happening?)