Subject: Re: [Leica] The great slide show software search (long)
From: "Jim Laurel" <jplaurel@nwlink.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2001 14:24:41 -0700

Yes, you can do it with Powerpoint, but the "synchronization" is not
repeatable, in the strictest sense, since there is no implicit relationship
between the background audio track and the slide timings.  The task of
playing the audio track is handled by one or more threads separately from
those handling the display of images.  Assuming all goes well and your audio
plays without any hiccups, and there is no delay in dislpaying the images,
you have the "effect" of synchronization.  I would call this "coincidental
synchronization".  If something interrupts your audio track (let's say, for
some reason, your background audio track is interrupted for 1 second), and
the images keep displaying on time, you are now out of synch by 1 second
with no way to recover.

On any computer, there are many reasons why processes may be interrupted.
For example, any number of software packages periodically connect to the
internet to look for updates.  Let's say one morning you innocently install
something like the MSNBC news alert.  You test your PPT slide show for that
night while connected to your cable modem and everything seems cool.  Later,
you disconnect your computer from the internet, take it down to the
auditorium and begin your show.  Five minutes into your presentation, the
news alert program starts looking for a server that it can't see becuase you
are in an auditorium and not connected to the net.  All this activity stalls
your audio track for a couple seconds while the slides keep going.  Now
you're out of synch.

Real synchronization is absolutely critical if you are using a custom audio
track specially created for your presentation.  You want slide transitions
when music changes, on a beat, things like that.  In the case of your work,
Tina, imagine soft Latin music in the background, with some ambient sound
from a marketplace on top, with your voice over on top of the whole thing -
kind of like what you hear on those great NPR radio documentaries.  Even a
precision of 1 second is not adequate for these kinds of timings.  That's
the impetus behind the W3C's SMIL specification.  SMIL provides absolute
synchronization between media elements during a presentation.

- --Jim