Subject: Re: [Leica] Rangefinder Misalignment
From: "Ted Grant" <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 06:49:58 -0700

Tina wrote:
> > jeeps crossing dry and wet rivers and mountains and on my shoulders
> > bouncing along on donkeys and I've never had them re-aligned that I know
of
> > - I wouldn't recognize it if they needed it.<<<<<<

Hi Tina,
I'm with you on this, as I don't know what others do with their M cameras
and I only have one M6 of several, with a slight out of alignment and it's
been that way for a long time. Not to mention  the dozen other M types over
the years where I've never had rangefinder drift in any of them.

Mine have been riding with me on horse back during cattle round-up, bouncing
in and on the out side of military vehicles, banging along on the large
komitic sleds (no cushion ride here!) with the Eskimo hunters of the Eastern
Arctic, bumped, banged and knocked to-gether so often hanging off my
shoulders and around my neck one would think the camera's should be a wreck,
but they're not. I suppose it's my "camera karma" ;-)  that they're still in
great shape. :-)

As far as putting them on the floor in the car, that's where one of them
rides everyday I'm in the car or the strap is around my knee camera dangling
if I'm the passenger. On planes the bag always goes under the seat in front
of me with the top flap facing toward me unzipped for quick access if I need
something else.

While flying, an M with wide angle is always hanging on my knee ready for
any untoward situation to be photographed.Trust me that has been done for
many many years, not just since the 11th.

I've put camera bags on the car trunk floor, for all of the years I've been
a photographer and never had any problems. Heck three years ago I was
shooting in northern British Columbia in the winter when the driver flipped
a Ford explorer on an icy road and my R8's in the camera bag bounced around
inside the vehicle as we were rocking and rolling over and over a couple
times, with all the gear escaping in good shape, probably because the bag
was zipped closed at the time.

The M6 hanging on my knee was whacked around and came off the knee as the
vehicle rolled over and once we were out I used it to shoot the vehicle
lying on it's side in the middle of the road.

Rangefinder out of alignment?  Nada! What was out of alignment was my
ability to breath in a relaxed manner! ;-)

I'm always surprised by the number of do not's applied to where one keeps or
places their cameras while traveling as I've never given it much thought
other than whatever gear is with me..... never ever goes on the seat!  Why?

Because if you stop suddenly the camera keeps right on going and you'll
cause more damage when it stops flying through the air. A loose camera
should never be on the seat in a vehicle, back or front!  Nor a full
equipment bag for the same reason.

Lads and lasses this all comes from experience of many thousands of miles
traveling about the world and in my home town. FWIW.
ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant

Message from "George Weir" <george@georgeweir.com> (Re: [Leica] Acros 100)