Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: WAS:noctilux halloween images NOW: bend the knees.
From: CHARLES STIRK JR C <ccstirkjr@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 07:38:05 -0800 (PST)

> Bill:I Shoot quite a bit of high school sport for a year
book studio and have never heard a complaint's about the
flash when using the newer ttl flash units. I wish that I
had definitive reason  but shorter flash duration ,less
wasted flash due to the zoom heads , or just the fact that
by the time high school comes along the kids are so used to
flash that they don't notice .
I might add that yes I know that you can shoot much of this
with the ambient light in a lot of gyms , but that also
assumes that you are going to spend a good bit  of time in
the dark room or in photoshop burning and dodging  each
frame to get an  image and this is not an option in the
modern world .
And to add that many of our client are so used to "sharp"
images that any subject movement , such as hand motion in a
volley ball match , that the only the flash images are
asept. to them .  When shooting in the best lit venue I am
usually only get an ambient exposure of 250th at f2.8 with
asa400 and this is a high light exposure , also you need to
take into account that many  of the athlete I shoot are not
pigmently chalanged there fore require an additional one to
two stops of exposure. Also when you take into account the
shorter contrast range of the digital  and in less you use
flash to bring the exposure with in the  contrast range you
get no asseptable images.
Chuck