Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica and off-camera strobe
From: Marc Attinasi <marc@attinasi.org>
Date: Sat, 01 Dec 2001 12:05:40 -0800

SthRosner@aol.com wrote:

> I won't be so presumptuous as to try to speak for Ted. Certainly, there is a
> place and often a real need for flash. My guess is that what he was saying is
> that the Leica RF cameras are made for available light; the reflexes and all
> larger format cameras are more contemplative in function.

Leica RF cameras have had flash synch for a loong time. I agree that they excel
in available light photography, but I do not agree that they are *made for* that.
Rather, I think they are made to be excellent general purpose cameras. Of course,
this is all just opinion. However, the recent addition of TTL flash makes me
think that Leica at least sees the RF as a viable if not strong flash photo
platform as well.

> Indeed, there will be times too when even with a Leica M, one may need to
> freeze action which available light, non-flash won't do.

I could not agree more! I guess I take exception with the 'available light only'
line of reasoning because I find the Leica RF cameras excellent for flash photo,
and I don't even have a TTL version. In fact, my SLR is mostly just for tele and
macro work anymore.

Thanks,
- - marc