Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Where's Joe?
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@markrabiner.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2001 16:54:23 -0800

Eric wrote:

> Mark:
>
> >To me not having it use the normal nomoclature for Schneider desinged
> >wide angle lens such as "Super Angulon" was a mild mistake.
> >If it did my next M6 would be an R8.
>
> Why?  If Leica anted up enough cash so they could keep the name under wraps,
> what's it matter?  The lens is going to perform the same no matter what it
> is called.  Why would the name change your mind?
>
> Eric
> --

Normally a dog name would smell as sweet.
All my life i wanted a Schneider Super Angulon wide angle lens.
Its a name which means a lot to me.
I think wide angle: I think Schneider Super Angulon.
I think meter: I think Gossen.
I think Camera: I think Leica
Names

I think Leica had Schneider do this lens up for them for a reason.
Could be they think as highly of this company as i do when it comes to
ultra wide angle optical excellence. As a lot of people do.
"Schneider Super Angulon" is synonymous with ultra wide angle optical excellence.

But they went back and forth with them as to what the final product
should be.
Where they struggling with them to made glass of high enough quality
like they struggle back and forth with Minolta and Sigma?
Or did all this back and forth take place because of Leicas specific
design parameters which don't quit match up with JSK's?
An esthetic difference? Your idea of great Bokeh aint MY idea of great
Bokeh!?
Did the same thing happen with current
PC-SUPER-ANGULON-R f/2.8/28 mm or the 21mm Super Angulon for the M which
I'm very tempted to get over the current 21 Elmarit-M f2.8 ASPH in the
next few weeks?

Ultra wide's have taken new leaps as of late by many companies but ones
which have caught my attention have been Schneider and the Rodenstock Grandagons.
I sure the Cosina 15 is excellent but they have the advantage of
designing a lens for an M so it can be less retrofocal. More true wide angle.
I'm old fashioned in as I'm in a less retrofocal the better frame of
mind. I realize there are advantages to a retrofocal design but i like
the advantages to the non retrofocal better.

I would have loved it more if Leica had Schneider come up with an
ultrawide for it's M camera to blow Cosina out of the water.
Or if Leica did it themselves. Same with a compact 75.

The currrent PC-SUPER-ANGULON-R f/2.8/28 mm lenes are used with great
authority by R users.
They shell out a big pile of cash and they get a lens which does stuff
other lenses don't, takes amazing pix and says PC-SUPER-ANGULON-R on it!
Would they get a tad less warm and fuzzy with a Dog name on it? You bet
they would!

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.markrabiner.com