Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Where's Joe?
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@markrabiner.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2001 22:25:38 -0800

><Snip>
> >I think wide angle: I think Schneider Super Angulon.
> >I think meter: I think Gossen.
> >I think Camera: I think Leica
> >Names
> >

> Heavens, Mark!  You are beginning to sound as boring as I must sound on the
> Cosina/Voigtländer thing!
>
> On another List, I believe you have opined that the Distagon is the
> wide-angle of choice and that you think "Rolleiflex" when you think camera.
>
> Marc

My sympathetic position which I've long maintained and expressed on your
view of the Cosina/Voigtländer name issue has not changed just because
I'm involved as an officer in the same camera club with those who are
agin it.
I don't hold my various opinions to be or not to be in agreement with
you, Erwin or Seth or anyone. That is not the question!
My little opinions just SPRING UP and later i THEN see who agrees with
them and who doesn't.
People are friends and work together knowing that not all opinions are shared.
There are too many issues and opinions to have with this camera stuff.

My first camera with adjustments i got when i was 13 in 1965 sits by my
keyboard right now.
It is a Voigtländer Vito BL with a 50mm Color Skopar lens made in the
60's by Voigtländer in Germany.
I took this picture with it when i was 16 in the summer of 1968
http://www.markrabiner.com/ImagePages/Motherchildindoorpage.html
When i in a few years get the Cosina/Voigtländer 12mm lens for my Leica
i wont be referring to it as my Voigtländer ultrawide.
I'll be referring to it as my Cosina ultrawide.
When i place that lens next to my Voigtländer Vito BL they are not going
to look like they belong together.
They are not going to give off the same "vibe". All they'll have in
common is the same logo.

I think a company who sells or rents thier name is as guilty as the
company who buys it.
My camera says Voigtländer because it was made by them.
The lens says Voigtländer because of the buying and selling of names. A
thing I've long expressed that I've been against.

If i become broke and crippled I'm not going to rent or sell my name to
a photographer who thinks they can do better with "Mark Rabiner" at the
bottom of their pictures instead of their own name. Whose being more
dishonest? Me or them?

Do you feel Zeiss has lost it because of the Contax made in Japan Zeiss
lenes? I don't and i don't think you do either. That is handled rather well.

Am I two faced for being on a few lists, not just one? Both of us are on
the LUG, RUG and HUG.
Well I've praised the Rolleiflex high and low on the LUG and anyone
who'd listen for years.
A brick which takes pictures. Ansel Adams quality with HCB spontaneity.
Quieter than a Leica and easier to shoot from the hip.
I don't need to praise it on your RUG Rollei list. Everyone there
already knows it.
But like yourself i use my Hasselblads even more and often. We are both
into macro. And the twin lens Rolleiflex is less then the ideal macro tool.
You can't even put a Viso on it!
I have an old pre FLE 50 CF for my Hasselblad which is my only medium
format wide angel lens. It has paid for itself many times over as my
Hasselblad system has. I like the focal length on the format and have
not found it lacking. I shot this with it:
http://www.markrabiner.com/ScooterPages/Bob.html
I'd kill for a Hasselblad superwide with it's true non retrofocal 38
Biogon lens but I'll have to wait for it for a few more years.
My money goes where my priorities are... or visa versa actually!
What comes first will be my Leica system which is my main system. A fact
I've admitted freely on any list i've posted too.
In the next weeks I'm looking at getting the 28 Summicron Asph.
And either the 21 Elmarit-M f2.8 ASPH or a 21 3.4 Super-Angulon for my M6's.
So i may get my first JSK glass in the very near future. But if not
sooner than later.
I'm also getting a 180 for my Hasselblad. I'm a very lucky photographer
at the age of 50.
This year I've gotten lots of glass I've dreamed of for years. Financial luck.
My entitiement feelings are strong. I feel like i deseve all the top
German glass i can get my hands on. I do shoot with the stuff. This week
i put food on my table with my Cfi Makro-Planar 120. I feel real great
about that.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.markrabiner.com