Subject: [Leica] Nathan's PAW 51
From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2001 14:24:32 +0100

I always carry my M6 outfit with me, and many of my PAWs this year were
taken on the way to and from work, during lunch breaks and in other
unplanned circumstances. But sometimes even an M6 is too much camera,
and for those occasions I have until now used a Ricoh GR1, a truly
pocketable, good quality point & shoot. However, I always found it
annoying to deal with the shutter lag (which seems an eternity compared
to a Leica M) and also I find that the 28mm is not my ideal all-purpose
focal length (on the M6, I use the 35mm more often than any other lens).
So, a couple of weeks ago I bought a Rollei 35S on ebay for $170. It is
fully manual, has a very nice 2.8/40mm lens made by Rollei under license
from Carl Zeiss, and is almost as pocketable as the Ricoh. It does not
have a coupled rangefinder, one has to estimate the distance, but in
practice this is not too hard. So, this week's shots come from my test
roll with the little Rollei, shot on Agfa Scala. I hope the LUG forgives
the non-Leica content...

First, Wednesday I was in London for a full day of meetings, but I did
manage a few snaps, among them this one of children singing carols in a
tube station:

http://www.wajsman.com/51.jpg

The two alternates are both from around my office in Zurich, showing the
winter that finally arrived:

http://www.wajsman.com/51alt1.jpg
http://www.wajsman.com/51alt2.jpg

I especially like the performance of the Rollei's lens on the second
shot, the sun is in the picture but the flare still well controlled (any
"glow" that may be visible is more an artifact of scanning Agfa Scala
and is not visible on the original slide).

The main PAW index is at:

http://www.wajsman.com/indexpaw.htm

and comments and critique are always welcome and appreciated.

Nathan

- --
Nathan Wajsman
Herrliberg (ZH), Switzerland