Subject: Wandering OT was Re: [Leica] Ma Barker Meets Bill Gates
From: Craig Zeni <clzeni@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2001 09:28:38 -0500

At 10:24 PM 12/27/2001, you wrote:
>At 06:36 PM 12/27/01 -0800, Adam Bridge wrote:
> >The problems with Windows XP threaten the entire internet and that IS of
> >national security concern. The problem is so severe that the Feds have had
> >to have a "heart to heart" talk with MS to get them to clean up their act.
> >Maybe they have, maybe they haven't. There are lots of sites which are
> >covering this.
>
>With all due respect, Mr Bridge, Horse-Shit.  Equine Excrement.
>
>The FBI has no business meddling with the Internet.  They have been hot to
>do so ever since they recognized that they had an uncontrollable factor on
>their hands.  The ancient advice to not put your faith in the government
>would seem multiply applicable here.  If those bozos claim that anything is
>a threat, I would recommend supporting this 'anything' -- it more likely is
>a huge boost to personal liberty and your individual freedoms.
>
>Libertas floreat!

Security issue?  You betcha.  Have a read -
http://grc.com/dos/sockettome.htm ...discusses the fundamental issue.  Then
have a look at his Denial Of Service story at http://grc.com/dos/intro.htm
...if a handful of 13 year old kids can effectively shut down Amazon,
Yahoo, etc then yes I'd call it a security issue.   One will never stop the
hackers, but one needn't hand the the tools on a silver platter like XP does.

Does the gummint need to be involved?  I don't know...idealogically I say
heck no, but given Microsoft's track record...well heck it's not like the
gummint has had much success in keeping Bill The Gates in check.  At the
end of the day the only thing Bill understands is money...and until a
viable (with apologies to Mac fans) OS comes along that can install and run
as brainlessly as Windoze does for the majority of computer users, Bill's
gonna get his cut, security issues and court orders be damned.

Returning you now to Leicas.  Well actually a Rolleiflex full of Velvia
this morning...

- --
Craig Zeni - REPLY TO -->> clzeni at mindspring dot com
http://www.trainweb.org/zeniphotos/zenihome.html
http://www.mindspring.com/~clzeni/index.html

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change ready.

Message from Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net> (Re: [Leica] Widows XP/Mac was Gamma)