Subject: [Leica] Bokeh is nonsense!!! well OK. donuts! :-)
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2002 16:07:00 -0800

Jeffery Smith wrote:
>>The only bokeh I have seen which made me shudder is, of course, mirror
lens bokeh. I find it very distracting.<<<<,

Hi Jeffery,
Today I agree with you. However, when the mirror lens was the hot ticket
lens everyone went crazy over the "donuts" background, read bokeh.

From magazine photo editors to ad agency art directors, everyone went  wild
over it.

But it didn't take long before the "donut fad" was over. The interesting
thing was the one word everyone seems to have an opinion on these days....
"bokeh" ............was never ever used . :-)

So that might contribute to the "old time photojournalists" finding all the
twitchy excitement over what's out of focus, more than what's in focus,
leery of all this super bokeh hype.

Bokeh?  In twenty years no one will know what the word means nor will they
care. Not likely, much like the donuts. ;-)

However, I've come to the conclusion that for those whom it's a big deal,
cool! :-)  Those of us who only notice it as an out of focus background
because we were shooting wide open, cool! :-)
We have done for many years just accepted it as a normal part of shooting
images wide open with usually long glass at near subjects.

So I suppose it all comes down to, "different strokes for different folks."
ted
Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant