Subject: Re: [Leica] Tele Elmarit revisisted
From: Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2002 20:39:41 -0800

At 11:43 AM -0800 1/6/02, SML wrote:
>I agree with Brian.  I have been trying to understand in vain why people
>kept complaining about the new Elmarit-M being heavy or bigger than the T-E.
>It is a little heavier and bigger than the T-E but not at all much heavier
>or bigger than the T-E as people were so concerned.  I am a guy of average
>size but can carry a M body with the Elmarit-M all day long without any
>problem caused by its weight.
>
>Best Wishes,
>David

It's only a matter of degree. Most of us could lift any of the lenses :-).

The Elmarit-M weighs about 58% more than the thin T-E with big metal
hood; the Summicron AA weighs 22% more than the Elmarit-M, and the
75/1.4 weighs 12% more than the Summicron AA. Based on 225 (+35 for
the hood) for the T-E, 410 for the Elmarit M, 500 for the AA and 560
for the 75. All weights in grams, and based on the black models. You
pick your aperture, and you get your weight, or whatever. All of them
work, and all have their strong suits and their weak points, but
whichever one you choose, will dictate slightly how you shoot, and
probably vice versa if you've tried them. I haven't shot enough with
a recent Elmarit-M to really get to know it, as it seems the odd man
out in this range, but all the other ones have their uses.

The 90 AA has the highest optical performance, but the 75 and the
Elmarit-M aren't far behind. The T-E might not be quite as good, but
over the years I've gotten a lot of keepers with it, so I'm not
letting it go. I used to have some Nikon 85's at the same time as the
T-E, and while the Nikkors had higher resolution, I was always
happier with the T-E shots. That's good enough for me.

- --
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
  /###\   mailto:henningw@archiphoto.com