Subject: Re: [Leica] Enlarging lenses (slightly OT)
From: Sam Carleton <scarleton@miltonstreet.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2002 19:33:56 -0500

Teresa299@aol.com wrote:

> Alrighty folks, now that we've dispensed with PAWS, hookers and peanut
> butter, here's a slight OT question for all of you Leica optical tech heads.
>
> I couple months ago I sought advice as to enlargers.  As it turned out the
> LUG info was very valuable and I finally managed to secure an enlarger (NOT a
> leica one though).  Unfortunately it didn't come equipped with an enlarging
> lens.
>
> I sought out the archives, but many of the folks on the original enlarging
> lens threads, are no longer active on the list, and I might wish to ask
> follow-up questions, hence, my post.
>
> Which enlarging lenses (brands/models) do you guys and gals suggest for both
> 35mm negative to (8x10 to 11x14) and 6x7 negatives (same)?  Whichever brand,
> is this something to risk getting used?

There is no right answer.  I learned to print at a friends house and I
did not like the optics he owned.  Considering the years I had spend at
his place as a teen eating his food, using his chemicals, etc, I bought
him the lens I wanted to use for 35mm work.  I bought him the Rodenstock
80mm f/4 Rodagon.  I picked this lens for a number of reasons: