Subject: Re: [Leica] 400 B&W
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@markrabiner.com>
Date: Sat, 09 Mar 2002 12:06:24 -0800

><Snip>
> Grain aliasing is also an issue; Certain films will appear to have
> significantly larger grain when scanned due to interference between
> the discreet nature of the silver grains and the scanner sensor.
> Chromogenic film doesn't have sharp edged film grains to cause this
> problem. For scanning, the lack of acutance of the chromogenic films
> is an asset.
>
> --
>     *            Henning J. Wulff

Henning I think what we could be talking about here is we can unsharp
mask the hell out of chromegic films like color neg and we don't get
that heartbreaking crusty look.
For the purposes of  scanning for Inkjetting of A3's or bigger this
could be a great thing.
And I can see how it with the ICE might be darn convenient saving hours
of cloning.

But for the purposes of website making and emailing the benefits might
be minimal.
Or letter sized Inkjetting even.

For me scanning from a just developed and dried (therefore clean) neg i
like the looks of real film.
I like the control i have over real film (not chromegic)
and i like that fact that my negs from 1965 look good as new.
Chromegic film fades while you look at it.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.markrabiner.com

Replies: Reply from Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com> (Re: [Leica] 400 B&W)