Subject: Re: [Leica] 400 B&W
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@markrabiner.com>
Date: Sat, 09 Mar 2002 13:51:08 -0800

Ted Bayer wrote:

> This is a interesting and serious point, Mark.  I had not seen it
> before.  How do you measure it -- are there any empirical studies that
> speak to this issue?  If so, I would like to know as I am considering
> going to this type of film as my main film.
>
> Thank you, Mark.
>
> Ted in Olalla
>
> >Sent: Saturday, March 09, 2002 12:06 PM
> >Subject: Re: [Leica] 400 B&W
>
> > Chromegic film fades while you look at it.
> >

> > Mark Rabiner
I would just do that empirical study Ted.

	shoot a roll of each, say shoot a roll of XP2 and a roll of regular
black and white film hopefully the same day the same subject but maybe
that is not so important here.

Then scan each one with the same specs. Look at it on your screen at
true pixel to pixel size.
Then make a print of each.
Then you'll know for yourself what many of us learn as we learn it by doing.
You've got to really be careful of the way you unsharp mask regular
black and white film.
You've got to keep the settings low, most of them. There is a learning
curve on that.
I will sharpen some parts of the image more than others. Make selections.
Which Deadman were still around.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.markrabiner.com