Subject: [Leica] Re: Velvia, was Scanner Suggestions
From: "Gary Todoroff" <datamaster@humboldt1.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 22:23:21 -0800

Jim and John - Why would you discount a film with such amazing properties
that return a great photo where another film would absolutely fall flat? I
don't use Velvia for portraits or for capturing the international orange of
Coast Guard helicopters (Astia works great for those). But on a foggy day in
the redwoods with ferns and leaves, only Velvia pulls out the million shades
of green while maintaining the pure whites in the mist.

You want an "obnoxious cliché" - just pick up any arty photo magazine over
the last five years and look for the open mouth scream portrait. As for
Velvia - it in no more a cliché than the color blue, which, come to think of
it, Velvia captures quite nicely, too. Tools are tools and film is a tool.
You
don't use Velvia like a crescent wrench. I think your comments are a
disservice to a really great film!

Regards,
Gary Todoroff
Tree LUGger

From: Jim Hemenway

> I think that the only thing that Velvia is good for is Autumn and a
> visit to the circus

and

Replies: Reply from Jim Hemenway <jim@hemenway.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: Velvia, was Scanner Suggestions)
Message from Jim Hemenway <jim@hemenway.com> (Re: [Leica] Velvia, was Scanner Suggestions)