Subject: [Leica] film screw-up! :-)
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Tue, 07 May 2002 16:13:03 -0700

Hi folks,
Well here you are, a hot off the operating room floor on how one little
thing like not checking the film in your camera closely can cause near
disaster.

Grab the gear this morning for an all day shoot on women in medicine. 2 M6's
1 M7 and an R8 with 80 1.4

I loaded the M's with Tri-x for use at 800 souped in Extol. Quick look at
back of R 8 saw green, "Oh I guess that's a roll with a couple of frames
from the other day. OK finish roll on this shoot, same thing anyway. Green
in film window and I re-called I'd been shooting some Fuji 1600, so quick
glance was sufficient there's film in the camera .

First error right there.. sloppy checking!

At one point I'm using the R8 and 80 1.4 shooting a surgeon full face and in
the special magnifying eye glasses they wear I can see the hands of the
other surgeon reflected working in the chest cavity on the patients heart.
Now that's awesome. :-)

Beautiful scene and I think to myself, : "Gee what a great colour shot~!"
:-) I mean I'm tight on the face and glasses, it was great. However, if you
read above you'll realize I was shooting "B&W"  Well what the heck this is a
B&W shoot anyway, but it would've been cool in colour.

Roll is finished, I rewind pop it out and??  You guessed it, a roll of FUJI
colour neg., Fuji 800! ;-)  "Well son of a gun." I say to myself must be a
message here.  One, if it's as cool as I think it is going to be in colour..
great for Family of Man or some other colour use. Or we scan and use B&W.
Actually it could make two pictures with one exposure.:-)

So you see sometimes an error of not checking carefully what film is in the
camera, like never assume anytime, can be beneficial in the end. However,
don't bet on it the next time! ;-)

Just thought you'd find the tale of a professional screw up that turned out
OK in the end.   Damn I'm lucky. ;-)
ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant