Subject: RE: [Leica] M7 Problem
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2002 12:15:52 -0400

At 10:51 AM 6/29/02 -0400, you wrote:
>Tina - Do you find that you are getting what you saw in the viewfinder/on
>the LCD, or are you losing Decisive Moments due to shutter/capture lag? What
>size have you enlarged the images to? What kind of noise are you getting in
>low-light situations?
>
>Bottom line - how do the images compare to film shot under the same
>condition?
>
>B. D.

B.D. -
There doesn't seem to be any shutter lag.  The main problem I have is
actually knowing that the photo has been taken.  There is absolutely no
noise or indication so I often press the shutter several times and end up
with several photos before, after, and during the decisive moment.  When
the moment has passed, I check the replay function to be sure that the
photo was actually captured.  You can turn on a "beep" to let you know the
photo has been taken, but I usually find that distracting.

I'm using the digital photos for powerpoint presentations, CD's, web, and
e-mail.  I haven't tried enlarging them for printing yet, but I
will.  There does seem to be considerable noise in low-light
situations.  The highest you can set the film speed is 400 - a big
disadvantage to me.  There are several software programs for removing the
noise which seem to work well.

I like the effect I get with the slow flash feature.  The best thing about
the digital to me is the immediate feedback.  I'm experimenting a lot with
things I would never have tried on film.  If I don't like what I get, I
just delete the file.   No film to develop, edit, and file or trash.  No
hassles with airport x-rays.

I put up two record photos taken of the group in Copan.  One is with the
Lumix and one is with the Digilux.  Can you tell the difference?  I
can't.  Ignore the file info - I haven't added the Digilux to my equipment
list yet.

http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder.tcl?folder_id=217145

Leically,

Tina