Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Your comments on the McNally show
From: Rolfe Tessem <rolfe@ldp.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2002 20:35:56 -0400

- --On Tuesday, July 2, 2002 1:21 PM -0700 S Dimitrov <sld@earthlink.net>
wrote:

> It's just that this 'oops' is so monumental is scope. Never mind that
> it's being paraded around the country like the greatest thing since the
> cat's meow.
> While yes, we've all had some wieners, most of us would let it sweep
> itself under the rug. It sure ain't happening here.
> Since I started this discussion, how about we close it, before we reach
> a point of some really diminishing return?
> Slobodan Dimitrov

Slobodan,

I basically agree with the prevailing opinion that, on some level at least,
these images are so obvious as to approach triviality.

Having said that, I think we need to remember that the whole point of this
project was clearly the size and scale with which the subjects are
portrayed. Clearly, one object of McNally's was to elevate the anonymous
firefighter or other rescue worker to heroic status by portraying the
ordinary in exaggerated scale.

I haven't seen the exhibit, only the magazine prints, so I can't draw a
personal opinion. But isn't it fair to say that by that standard the
project succeeds?

- --
Rolfe Tessem
rolfe@ldp.com