Subject: RE: [Leica] $500 rebate on LHSA M6
From: Jim Shulman <garcia@chesco.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 17:01:44 -0400

If there's a special edition of something that isn't in limited
production, such as the null series camera, then certainly let the
collector beware.  If it were a huge hit Leica might well be making
scads of them indefinitely.

However, from what I understand the LHSA model was a specifically
limited edition camera, made for that organization on a pre-order basis.
This was offered as a special, one-shot deal to members of LHSA through
an arrangement with Leica.  If I had purchased one with that
understanding, and discovered that it was being dumped at a discount,
then I'd be furious, too.

I used to be in the collectibles business and produced limited edition
models.  Some appreciated greatly in the aftermarket, others didn't.
One thing I couldn't do, though, was to dump slow (or non) selling
merchandise into the market.  I ate the cost of the unsold merchandise
to protect the INTEGRITY of the brand.  It wasn't cheap, but it was the
ethical thing to do.

Collectable Leica? Is it a Hermes scarf or Target turtleneck?  A lot
depends on the actions and integrity of the company.

Jim Shulman
Bryn Mawr, PA