Subject: Re: [Leica] OT Epson 2200 for B/W. What's the verdict?
From: "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2003 07:57:33 -0500

Simon, that is an interesting observation, scanners not pulling out all the
information.  I thought that the consensus was that around 4000dpi and a
real d of 4 that anything more was just finding film grain.

For me, the real issue is flattening the density range in the negative or
transparency to what makes sense on a print.  The same problem photographers
have had since the beginning.

I don't think film scanners are going to get much better as possibly only
Leica is still obsessing over  40 LP resolution in their lenses.  With the
exception of some Zeiss lenses and some of my L telephoto's there is no
reason to scan at higher resolutions, the detail just isn't there.

I hope Leica does something really stupid for it and works with someone to
build a film scanner optimized for their glass.  Same small volume but it
would make some of us really happy.  You know, the same thing they did in
the 30's with enlargers.

Don
dorysrus@mindspirng.com

Replies: Reply from "animal" <s.jessurun95@chello.nl> (Re: [Leica] OT Epson 2200 for B/W. What's the verdict?)