Subject: [Leica] "blind" photo show
From: Christer Almqvist <chris@almqvist.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 12:40:11 +0100

Last night I went to an opening night here in Hamburg with the best
photos from three different competitions; Kodak Young Photographers,
Reinhard Wolf Memorial and BFF (Bund freier Fotografen?). The show
was impressive, both quality and quantity wise. I recommend it to
anybody visiting Hamburg the next few weeks (last day is 24th April).
I shall go back to see it again in a few days as the large crowds
yesterday made in difficult to take it all in.

The pictures that left the strongest impression on me were those of
Helmuth Sito Schlingensiepen. I understand he had a severe eye
problem risking to go blind, but in the end his eyesight was
restored. In his photos he tries to show us what a person with almost
no vision "sees". Some of these pictures are strikingly beautiful.

My father had a very serious eye problem and I have often tried to
imagine what the world looked to him, but I never quite managed;
perhaps this was one reason why I was so impressed by these photos. I
was deeply moved by the beauty of these pictures and grateful that I
have been able seen them.

Chris
- --
Christer Almqvist